Saturday, September 4, 2010

Manufacturing Good Logo - Volkswagen

Most recent VW logo

The Volkswagen logo has always been one of my favorite logos ever since I was a kid. Perhaps it’s because I’m loyal to the brand and have been ever since I was about 4 years old. I used to scribble this logo on my bookcovers in high school dreaming of the day when I would have a VW of my very own. Some girls dream of driving a Mercedes or BMW but not me. This is true, my dream car has always been a VW Jetta as weird as that sounds and I’ve been the proud owner of two. In fact it’s what I drive now. 

The VW logo I think is as iconic as the Coca Cola logo. It’s remained the same since it was designed by Franz Reimspies in 1939 only undergoing a few minor tweaks in recent years. Most recently VW decided to give it a more three-dimensional look to keep up with current Web 2.0 design  trends.

Volkswagen in German translates to “peoples car” and is pronounced “folksvagan.” The V and the W stand out immediately and effectively portray the Volkswagen brand. This logo in my opinion is one of true beauty and simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment